Control board efficiency

Hi there,

is anybody aware of some sort of (scientific or unscientific) tests concerning the efficiency of e-scooter controllers?

Context:
I recall having gotten out of my tiny 33v/6.5ah (214wh) battery a solid 30km/19m cruising at 25km/h … with a 2016 E-twow Booster and even their website mentions 7wh per km - so pretty much in line with what I got. A pitty that I don’t see this measure more often, as it seems very relevant!

Nowadays I see many higher powered scoots with batteries twice or 3 times that wh-batteries getting similar range … (and yes I am aware that esp. speed scales non linear (squared I think))

So, given that the battery is by far the most expensive part of a PEV, it would be outright dumb if you manage to not squeeze out any last wh to convert it into kinetic energy (as opposed to heat) - wouldn’t it?

I also hear that the Minimotors controller seem to be more efficient than the generic-chinese ones that are being used in kaabo/zero/whatever rebadge … but that might be heresay on youtube, etc…

Any first hand experience e.g. cruising with a similar weighted friend on 2 different scooters side-by-side for quite some time thus determining consumption under identical conditions?

any thoughts on that?

cheers, al

Following, I would also like to know.

It definitely seems like there is a ton of room for improvement here. An FOC would be a good first step but once you have that there should be a ton of improvement you can do with software.

It’s not just in scooters either, it’s a big reason why Tesla has an efficiency advantage over other EV’s.

It will be interesting to see what Apollo comes up with for their own controller. Seems like their heading the right direction, but they also seem to talk about the UI and speed a lot so maybe efficiency won’t get the attention it deserves.

1 Like